Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Weigh-in Wednesday - How to Drink More Water

One of the many things you hear when putting more research time into living a healthier lifestyle is the need to drink more water.  Typically the average person does not consume enough water in a day. I truly believe that most of us, who do not already make a conscious decision to watch our water intake, would be baffled at how little they actually drink.

For this reason, I wanted to share some tips and tricks that my husband and I have used to ensure that we are getting at least 64 oz of water each day. (This is actually drinking it and not calculating the water that is in food and other beverages.)

 






  1. Flavored water or Water flavor packets: There are several options available for flavored water or water packets to keep things fun and fresh.  I love to have just a fresh, cold bottle of water...however, sometimes that starts getting a little boring and I want to reach for a soda.  When those urges hit, I reach for a flavor packet instead! Tony and I buy several different types of flavor packets; Great Value, Hawaiian Punch, Crush, and Propel.  Depending on how flavorful you want your water you can adjust your bottle sizes, or how much of the packet you use each time.  The ones we use are for 12 oz bottles, but we put one in a 33.8 oz bottle and it's still plenty flavorful. 
  2. Have a Dedicated Water Bottle: If you have a bottle that you continually keep with you and consistently fill up, you are more likely to drink more water.  Some people will invest in a fully reusable bottle like the HydroFlask. This is a great option for anyone who likes to think green, as you will just wash and reuse as needed.  (HydroFlasks also keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours!) The other options is of course the normal plastic water bottle.  Tony and I typically buy 4 33.8 oz bottles every time we go to the store (every two weeks) and reuse those in between trips. We aren't completely green, but we also don't throw away 12+ plastic bottles every day. We consistently fill these up and literally take them everywhere with us!
  3. Limit your Other Liquid Intake: Something I've personally noticed for myself is that if I'm drinking other types of liquids, I do not drink enough actual water.  If I'm having a huge coffee craving and keep filling my coffee cup up, I will NOT drink much water. The same goes for me if I'm drinking pop or alcoholic beverages (at parties or tailgates...when I'm not pregnant!). So when you go to a restaurant, if you really want a soda, get one glass full with dinner and the rest of the time focus on your water glass.  If you're a big coffee drinker, try to start limiting your cups/day and pick up that fun new bottle you've invested in more.
  4.  Track Your Intake: There are so many different apps out there that you can utilize to track your water intake. Sometimes it helps to utilize one of these before you actually get into a routine of drinking enough water. Some apps you can look into are Watterlogged, Water Alert, Daily Water as well as multi-use apps like MyFitnessPal and Fitbit.  Tony and I track our water intake by making sure to drink two full bottles of our water a day, this ensures that we get at least 64 oz of water in a day (67.6 oz to be exact)!
  5. Increase your Cardio Activity: By increasing your cardio activity your body automatically wants to replenish the water you're losing through sweat. You will notice that you feel thirsty while you exercise, you should listen to this and sip on water throughout the duration of your workout...don't chug or you'll become water logged (something Tony is constantly reminding me of, haha). But the more active you are, the more water you'll consume. :-D
There you have Tony and I's top 5 tips/tricks to consume more water! Remember, consuming water is crucial for your overall health and I hope that we've been able to give you a little motivation to strive to hit the 64 oz/day goal!
 
Did any of these ideas give you some personal motivation to try to drink more water? Do you have any of your own tips or tricks that you personally use?

No comments:

Post a Comment