One day closer to the weekend and a three-day weekend for that matter. :-)
Today I wanted to focus my thankful thoughts on being 31. I know this might sound weird to some of you, but last year turning 30 had me going through a mini-life crisis. It probably had something to do with the fact that everyone is so focused on their 20's and making the most of their youthful years...and here I was a mother of two not ready for the dreaded 3-0.
Today I have to say I'm happier to be 31 than I was ever happy to be 21 and here's why...
At 21 my focus was on late nights, drinking, "living it up", eating whatever I wanted, hanging out with whoever I wanted and just doing whatever I wanted. I was so unhealthy in so many areas of my life, but I thought I was living the dream. Boy was I wrong...
31 was a birthday that I embraced with open arms. This is literally the healthiest I've ever been in my life. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically. Here are the things that I've added to my life over the last few years that have really made this difference, I:
- Put God first
- Attend church weekly
- Workout daily
- Eat to fuel my body
- Enjoy a nice splurge here or there
- Pray regularly
- Put others before myself
- Try to listen before speaking
- Take time to enjoy the day, not always thinking about tomorrow
- Respect and love my husband more
- Fight with people less often
- Focus on my mental health
- Get more SLEEP!
- Drink 64 oz+ water every.single.day
- Drink alcohol on occasion (maybe once every couple of weeks)
- Enjoy the simple things (the smell of rain in the air, the beautiful sunset/sunrise, etc...)
- Lift weights
- Play with my kids
- Getting a massage every month
- Stretching more regularly
- Getting into meditation or guided meditation
- Tweaking our diet to continue fueling our bodies appropriately with the increased activity
- Not defining myself by a number on the scale
What about you? Did you have a birthday that you were/are dreading? When you hit 30 (if you're there) did you embrace it with open arms or freak out a little? Why?