Tuesday, November 10, 2015

imprompTuesday - Tough Mudder

My husband suggested that I share with all of you our experience with Tough Mudder and give you an idea of why you should give it a try!!!

Take a look at our experience, the things I loved about it, the things I hated about it and the reason why I feel everyone should give Tough Mudder a try at least one time!




I feel like one of my coworkers had talked to me about Tough Mudder in 2013 and I decided to start taking a look at it. After reading through the website and watching some videos on YouTube, I decided to share the idea with Tony and he was on board.

We competed in Tough Mudder in April of 2014 and it was an experience we'll never forget.  The course was over 11 miles long and had a lot of crazy obstacles, some of them smaller than others. The obstacles didn't just test you physically, they also tested you mentally! From the huge walls you had to try to get over to the extremely high jumps you had to make to the "electroshock" therapy. It was just insane. Below are the things that I loved and hated about this course:

Things I Loved:

  • The course is not timed, it isn't based on how fast you can get through it, but how much you can push yourself.
  • If you really don't feel comfortable completing one of the obstacles, they say to just go around it and they don't look down on you for that.
  • There is some major camaraderie that comes with this, everyone is helping everyone out. You get people pushing you up one side of the wall and others helping you down the other side.  You have people holding onto your ropes for more stability and people rooting you on to complete the challenge. It was just amazing!!!
  • They have stopping points throughout the whole course for you to fuel up and re-hydrate.
  • The course really tests you physically and you figure out areas of yourself that you need to improve on, like I really, REALLY need to work on my upper body strength!!
  • It also tests you mentally...there was this one point in the course that you had to jump into a huge puddle of water from a high distance....and it took me a while to muster up the courage to even jump. It really wigged me out that you couldn't see the bottom so the puddle looked a lot shallower than it actually was.
  • The electroshock therapy was another one, they weren't constantly on so as you went you didn't always get zapped by one of the hanging cords, but you knew it was coming so you were constantly trying to anticipate it.
  • It was a challenge that will always be remembered by Tony and I and we are planning to do more in the future!
Things I Hated:
  • The electroshock therapy!!! LOL. I hated those with a passion, but I still went through both obstacles that contained them. 
  • I didn't have the upper body strength needed for so many of the obstacles it wasn't funny.  Thank God there were other people around us to help Tony push and pull me up over walls and out of pits...but I felt bad that Tony was having to worry about himself AND me.
As you can see, my things I loved list is much longer than the things I hated. :-P I would highly suggest that anyone give this a try! It was a lot of fun and it also looked like there were a lot of teams there.  There were a couple of fire department teams and a bunch for friend teams that contained both guys and girls. So get a group of people together and sign up! I promise, it's worth the expense. :-D





No comments:

Post a Comment